pleasant grove high school newspaper, texarkana, tx

edge

edge

edge

Breaking the Silence

Promote, protect, and prioritize mental health to embrace the ‘heart and soul’ program in our school

Heart and soul.
The words adorn our football jerseys. They are plastered on the Hawk merch you buy and wear, and they’ve become a part of our vocabulary at Pleasant Grove.
The district takes pride in our academic excellence, extracurricular achievements, and the well-being of our students.

At Pleasant Grove, these are our values and commitments. They echo throughour school’s halls, yet the topic of mental health still remains in the shadows.
It begs the question: can we really have a “heart and soul” program if we disregard both?

While we are pursuing academic success and personal growth, it’s all too easy to overlook the challenges many of our fellow students face beneath the surface. The truth is, mental health is a vital part of our overall well-being, and it’s time that adults realize and provide the help students need, whether it’s one-on-one counseling sessions, mental health days, or simply spreading awareness.
Mental health challenges are real.

They affect not only our fellow students but also their families. It’s a matter that deserves our understanding, compassion, and collective effort to make a change.
One of the most pressing issues we face is the stigma associated with mental health. Students are often reluctant to discuss their struggles, fearing judgment, misunderstanding, or social exclusion. This reluctance can lead to a dangerous cycle where students avoid seeking help when they need it the most. The stigma surrounding mental health is a burden that many of our peers bear silently, but we have the power to change that.

Additionally, we recognize that some families may face various barriers when it comes to providing support for their children’s mental health. Financial constraints, fear of diagnosis, scheduling conflicts, and the shame associated with mental health issues can deter parents from seeking professional help. This, in turn, discourages their children from reaching out for support.

It’s impossible to know how many students are struggling to the point of needing medication or therapy — but it is obvious that just by looking at the number of tears each week, the accumulation of absences, or the visible symptoms of mental exhaustion, something needs to be done regarding the emotional well-being of students.
While Pleasant Grove already offers stress management counseling, we can and should do more to increase accessibility to mental health services. We understand that not everyone feels comfortable seeking help face-to-face.

To address this, we can integrate mental health applications and digital platforms into our school programs. We can start with online channels, such as a simple Google Form, for students to express their concerns or seek help anonymously. These confidential and accessible resources can provide students with the means to seek support while maintaining their privacy, eliminating the fear of vulnerability or being identified.

We, as students, parents, teachers, and administrators, not only need to acknowledge mental health, but we also need to recognize its importance. We need to promote an open and understanding environment in which students can thrive both academically and emotionally. We need to prioritize mental health as we do our other achievements and pursuits.

Our commitment to academic excellence and extracurricular accomplishments should be matched by our commitment to fostering a supportive and inclusive atmosphere for all students.
Make Pleasant Grove a place where seeking help for mental health is as natural as seeking help for any other health issue. It’s our duty as a “heart and soul” school to foster a culture of understanding, empathy, and support, where the well-being of every student is not just a commitment but a reality.