pleasant grove high school newspaper, texarkana, tx

edge

edge

edge

Tennis Team Takes Bi-District Title

Hawks keep their title streak going, get ready for regionals
Hawks+varsity+tennis+team+celebrates+after+beating+Jacksonville+10-0+at+Hallsville+on+October+9th.+
Hawks varsity tennis team celebrates after beating Jacksonville 10-0 at Hallsville on October 9th.

The Hawk tennis team took the bi-district title Monday, defeating Jacksonville 10-0 at Hallsville. PG won the top three spots in boys doubles and girls doubles, mixed doubles and three of the top four in boys singles.

The team advanced to bi-district after winning the district title on Oct. 3 by beating the Sulphur Springs Wildcats 15-4. It was the 15th year in a row to win the district title and solidified their ranking as 13th in the state and 5th in Region II among 4A schools.

“I was pretty confident going into Bi-District,” Cambrie Jackson (11) said. “I feel good about how our team handled district and the other matches this year.”

Earlier the Hawks defeated the Sulphur Springs Wildcats 15-4.

After defeating the Atlanta Rabbits 10-0 on September 26th, the tennis team was confident going into their match against Sulphur Springs the following week.

“Sulphur Springs is probably the toughest team we had to face, and we just had to go in ready for a battle,” Coach Erick Pickett said, “But I think overall we have more depth than they do, and we played like we are capable of playing.”

Although they have already played in 13 tournaments this year, the Hawks must still be prepared for unexpected challenges.

The Hawks will play in the regional round Friday for a chance to advance to state.